Kedarkantha has Awe-inspiring snow-capped peaks, and lush meadows of green. Along with crystal clear streams high pine trees, and light engulfing your trek with golden light. This is how the Kedarkantha hike is like. Magical is the way it feels.
Although trekking is generally thought to be a summer-time activity. However the number of people who are trying out the adventure of winter treks or snow trekking. As some prefer calling it, is constantly increasing. If you consider winter treks, it’s the Kedarkantha trek that is now a favorite among adventurers.
There are many reasons behind it, but the initial sentence in this article provides a glimpse of the reasons. Before that, a few facts regarding this gorgeous part of the Himalayas.
An Trek to Kedarkantha
It is situated inside the Govind Wildlife Sanctuary in Uttarkashi district. It is located in the Western Garhwal region of Uttarakhand.
The trail is situated at a height of 3,810m (about 12,500 feet). This trekking route covers a total distance of 20 km.
The best timing to travel is during the cold winter days, i.e. from November through February. When the snow’s last flakes are falling until April.
The destinations nearby
The closest big city to the trek is Dehradun located around 220km from Sankri. It is the point of departure on the trekking route. Dehradun is also home to the closest railway station. That is located in the middle of the city. The closest airport located in the city is Jolly Grant Airport. Which is located around 22km to the southeast of Dehradun.
The Kedarkantha Trek
The Kedarkantha trek begins from Sankri an idyllic little town in the foothills, at an altitude of 6400ft. The first major stop occurs when you reach Jadu Ka Talab. Which is situated at around 9,100 feet and is about 5 hours of walking from Sankri. The first section gives an idea of the stunning beauty that is waiting for trekkers in the coming days.
It has stunning maple and pine forests which are the reason why Kedarkantha is known. Along with breathtaking meadows and streams that line the path. Jadu Ka Talab will be the very first campsite on the trek. Here you can stay the night and rest up for the trek the next day.
Villages and Campsites along the Kedarkantha Trek
The next step is to hike towards the Kedarkantha base, which is at 11,250 feet, and a distance of 4.5km. In this section, you can experience your first glimpse. And the stunning and breathtaking 360-degree panorama of snow-capped peaks in all directions. The camping area located at Kedarkantha base is among the most stunning campsites. Every trek in India offers. It is a great location to pitch your camp, cook the perfect Maggi and get a good evening nap.
The Following destination
The next destination is Kedarkantha peak which is located at 12,500 feet in elevation. This is the most difficult part of the trek. However, it can be completed easily if you’re reasonably fit. The views you see along the way and at the summit are unmatched in splendor and beauty.
The Himalayas are in their absolute splendor here, and trekkers will find this experience to be extremely rewarding. Once you’ve reached the summit, you’ll have to return trip to the base. And the first stop would include Horegaon Camp.
The camp is another enticing location and could be your night’s stop. The next day, you’ll be able to head back to Sankri to return through the dense pine forest. It won your heart the first time you walked through them.
What makes Kedarkantha Trek Special?
A unique feeling after the Kedarkantha Trek
Where should I begin?
1. The first and foremost is that it is a moderately simple trek that is also among the most picturesque. It’s an excellent ROI (in terms of effort and skills required). For most trekkers and particularly for those who are new to the sport.)
2. The total number of thirteen summits, is the number you’ll encounter during this hike. This is an impressive number, particularly when they’re completely coated in snow. It provides breathtaking views of sunlight reflecting off the peaks. Swargarohini, Black Peak, and Bandarpoonch are but a few of the most stunning Himalayan peaks. These you’ll see during this hike.
3. It’s relatively easy to reach, considering that it is located just from Dehradun. And offers excellent connectivity via rail, road, and air. Additionally, the journey from Dehradun to Sankri out of Dehradun is an unforgettable experience by itself. And will keep you in your seat all the journey.
4. The most distinctive and unique aspect that is unique to Kedarkantha Trek. It is the amount of clear and spacious areas this trek provides. This is a rarity and not present in other treks. This is the reason why the camping areas in this trek are considered to be among the most beautiful. Jadu Ka Talab Kedarkantha bases and other camping spots. These are all situated on these clearings, which are tucked away between the mountains of snow and sunshine.
5. There are charming villages throughout the trek where people are warm and welcoming. It is possible to gain a fascinating insight into the traditional Garhwal traditional culture. And the lifestyle of the inhabitants of the Himalayas.